One of the most important tasks of the 24th Session of the of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP24) will be to work out and adopt a package of decisions ensuring the full implementation of the Paris Agreement, in accordance with the decisions adopted in Paris (COP21) and in Marrakesh (CMA1.1). Moreover, COP24 will include the so-called Facilitative Dialogue intended to support the implementation of national commitments.
The International Network of Basin Organizations (INBO), in its own capacity and as Secretariat of the Global Alliances for Water and Climate (GAfWaC), has organized and participated in 9 events and half
a dozen bilateral meetings during COP24 (Katowice, Poland) on the topic of water and climate.
These events addressed the challenges of and solutions for:
● adaptation to climate change in transboundary basins,
● water security,
● capacity development and knowledge dissemination
● access to climate finance for adaptation projects in the water sector,
● dialogue between actors of different sectors,
● research and innovation to tackle climate change in Africa (AfriAlliance),
● the necessity of improved governance for a successful development of the blue economy,
● the interest of nature-based solutions and ecosystem-based adaptation.